holySmith has a boat.
It’s a Sea Eagle Sport Runabount 12′ 6″ rigid keel inflatable boat, to be more exact. It also has an electric trolling motor with 45lbs of thrust. We also have a small Humminbird fish finder, which is pretty handy.
holySmith The Boy and I took it out for the first run on Tempe Town Lake over Memorial Day weekend. Here are the highlights of the inaugural excursion:
- The boat had a pinhole leak that almost caused me to abort the trip right after we put it in the water (luckily I was able to patch it).
- We had to cut the rope to the anchor when it got stuck on something*
- The transom-mounted wheels need some adjustments
- It was windy
- The motor/battery performed well
- The fish finder works well
- I caught a rather large fish, but it got off the hook just shy of landing it in the boat
- The Boy officially landed the first fish on the boat (Largemouth)
*That’s hard to do in Town Lake since there is almost NOTHING in that lake in terms of structure.
The first mission was a bit rough at the beginning, but once we were underway, we had a good time. The Boy got to drive the boat a bit and he also was in charge of keeping an eye on the fish finder. Being this was a test run, we have a list of bugs to iron out for the next attempt. Further boating adventures will be posted here.